today is, International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia…….. sadly we, my husband and i, live in a country dominated by a bigoted nationalist government, and a bigoted religion so i don’t expect this day will have a positive affect here for a long time to come……. i wish all those who cannot, will not, come out and celebrate their lives out of fear, a brighter future…… it is something worth fighting for!
is it ironic or intentional that this day’s acronym IDAHO, is the name of an american state in which ‘sodomy’ is still technically illegal, and that just recently rejected anti-discriminationary laws for homosexuals? there is little, united, about the united states of america.
when we fight for gay marriage many think that is progress, i see it as giving in, making a cheap deal with big society, marriage needs an overhaul for all before i would join that club
better we stick to registration, and then unite the energy wasted on the right to go bankrupt having a party, and help those people in more desperate need of freedom than a smart suit, flowers and over priced catering. they kill homosexuals in iran, 4 sentenced in may of this year, they force gender reassignment on some gay men across central asia as the easier option to a life of fear, and then abuse them as prostitutes, or just run in to a life of transvestism and use them in the same way, see the dancing boys of afghanistan, and the girl/boys of india, and don not be fooled by the apparent image of acceptance of the lady-boys and homosexuals of thailand, they congregate in the cities for a reason. these are bigger issues.
this will sadly not happen across the world in my life time.
first we need a change of use of language, and the end to bullying taught by adults to children, our suffering and anxieties start on the play ground, and in our own homes and in the places that some go for spiritual guidance. no ‘god’ said that any sexuality is bad, somebody said on ‘his’ behalf, if you believe in a god that is. i do not, but i do believe that when people need love it should be given without question without judgement and with total acceptance. and when they need protection and support that, family, friends, government and their church should provide it equally to all.
acceptance and equality are every child’s, man’s, woman’s and transgender’s rights.
toleration is not enough.
- Help Make Homophobia & Transphobia History! (lass.org.uk)
- International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia 2012 Message (bajan.wordpress.com)
- Action on Homophobia for IDAHO (mamanpoulet.com)
- International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia- We are Family-Freedom to Love for all Nigerians! (nigerianlgbtindiaspora.wordpress.com)
- We also have ‘opinions’ – a protest against transphobia (wellingtonista.com)
- International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia supported by Secretary Hillary Clinton (miamiherald.typepad.com)
- San Francisco Flag Lowering Ceremony for International Day Against Homophobia (oblogdeeoblogda.wordpress.com)
- Burma to Hold First Anti-Homophobia Event (irrawaddy.org)
- UN Human Rights Commissioner Releases Int’l Day Against Homophobia Video. Too Little Too Late? (queerty.com)